Does your New Year’s Resolution include losing a few pounds? Below is a list of seven great tips from WebMD on how to boost your metabolism and burn calories the healthy way.
- Step up your workout – Make sure you’re allowing yourself a high intensity workout at least three days a week. Walking around the gym lifting a few weights will not do the job, but getting that heart rate going and pushing yourself with more aerobic exercise will. Try going to a high intensity aerobic class or include short bursts of jogging during your morning walks.
- Drink lots of water – Water is necessary to process food in your body. If you are dehydrated, your metabolism will slow down. Make sure you drink at least 8 glasses of water a day and replace pretzels and chips with fruits and vegetables.
- Eat more often – Yes you heard me right, eat more often! When you eat large meals and nothing in between, your metabolism will again, slow down. A long as your choosing healthier foods, studies have proven that eating 3-4 times a day with healthy snacks in between keeps your metabolism going.
- Eat spicy foods – Spicy foods rev up your metabolism into high gear. If you only eat spicy foods (a spice level within reason) once in a while you’ll only receive a short-term effect. But, if you make it a habit to eat spicy foods, the effect will become more long-term and continuous.
- Add ice – An ice-cold drink will help your body burn more calories. According to WebMD, research has shown that 5-6 glasses of ice water will rev up your metabolism and allow you to burn nearly 10 calories a day.
- Eat plenty of protein – When the body digests protein, it uses more energy as it does for fat and/or carbohydrates. If you eat a boat load of carbs, try replacing some carbs with lean, protein-rich foods. These can jump-start the metabolism at mealtime. Lean beef, turkey, fish, white meat chicken, tofu, nuts, eggs, and low-fat dairy products are all high in protein.
- Avoid crash diets – Diets that include eating less than 1,000 calories a day are disastrous for anyone looking to speed up their metabolism. These diets may help you drop pounds but they also help you lose a high percentage of muscle. When your muscle mass is low, your metabolism is slow.
Shannon Lazovski is the CEO of Glamorous Moms LLC, editor and owner of glamorousmoms.com, detroitfashionnews.com, is a MichMoms blogger for the Detroit News and is the founder of Detroit Mom Bloggers; connecting mom bloggers in the Metro Detroit area with pr firms, brands and each other for social media campaigns. She is a blogger, fashion/beauty/image consultant and a social media community manager. She loves to collect, jewelry, handbags and heels (typically the higher the better) and cannot get enough when it comes to the subjects of beauty and fashion.
- Neal’s Yard Remedies Aromatherapy Kit; May Special - May 22, 2017
- Yellow Tinted Sunglasses - May 16, 2017
- Trilogy Cheer Performs Flawless Routines; Wins Wildcard Division and Summit Championship - May 15, 2017
- The Bachelorette’s Rachel Lindsay to Wear Randi Rahm on Premiere Episode - May 13, 2017
- Grace Centers Of Hope Holds “Women Helping Women” Luncheon and Fashion Show - May 5, 2017
- Looking Young and Healthy Thin with LightRx - April 25, 2017
- Frankincense Intense Collection; Neal’s Yard Remedies - April 24, 2017
- Versace Mansion aka The Villa Casa Casaurina - April 11, 2017
- Yummy DIY Skin Scrubs - March 22, 2017
- Food Blogger Sarah Beaton Turns to “Clean” Beauty Products - March 21, 2017