Okay ladies, it’s time we come together and ban those old mom jeans. What do they do for us? Not much. Many of you have mom jeans in your closets since the 90’s. Now that it’s 2015, it’s time to get rid of those ill fitting faded jeans and step into new trends that help flatter our figures and make us feel great.
Mom jeans have the tendency to make us look bigger than we are in the most obvious places. The shape of the wrong mom jean (not that there is ever a right mom jean) adds length and bulk in the hips and lower abdomen, the exact places some women feel insecure about already. They are unflattering specifically because they sit a few inches above the belly button causing a bulging tummy and tend to flatten the rear. The long cut from the top of the jean belt line to the inseam in the inner thigh, shapes a women’s body to look fuller and longer (notice I didn’t say longer and leaner), sometimes putting us in an egg shape which is usually not the true shape of the person wearing them at all.
Most of the time, moms tend to hold on to old clothes because they focus so much on buying for their children and they tend to put themselves last to save money. Getting rid of your mom jeans and buying new jeans doesn’t have to be expensive at all. Newer flattering cuts and darker washes can be found almost anywhere, as long as you know what your looking for. Once your closets are cleaned out and you’re ready to make the change for a newer more beautiful you, follow these guidelines below when shopping for your new flattering jeans.
- Look for darker washes – A dark denim tends to be dressier and is appropriate for most occasions. A darker denim can also make you look longer and leaner with a streamlining effect and darker blue hues are much classier than the faded blues. Always have at least one trouser jean in your collection for a classier/dressier look for the days you need to step it up a bit but are still in the mood to wear jeans. Just make sure jeans are appropriate for the event you are attending.
- Follow the trends that work for your body – Just because everyone is wearing skinny jeans doesn’t necessarily mean you should too. Women of many shapes and sizes can wear a skinny jean and wear them well. They aren’t made for just one body type but you do need to make sure they fit correctly and you are wearing them with the right tops and shoes for your figure. Skinny jeans can be tricky. For boyish figures, it’s okay to wear a simple cotton tee, ballet flats and a skinny jean. For fuller figures balancing out the volume is key. Wear a knee high boot over the skinny and a fringed poncho on top. There are many options but just make sure the fit is right and you feel good about your choice. If you don’t feel beautiful in them then don’t wear them. Your goal is to follow your heart and to feel good about yourself, not follow what everyone else is wearing.
- Buy the right size – If you don’t love the fit in the fitting room, don’t buy them. For fuller hip & thigh figures – A higher rise in the rear will cover and contour voluptuous curves disclosing bulges. A flared leg will balance out any extra weight on top. For figures thicker in the middle – A higher rise jean might be best to smooth out and cover muffin tops or belly rolls. A tighter low rise jean will only accentuate bulges and rolls, not cover them up, making you look heavier (this is how the muffin top was created). Just be sure your high rise jeans aren’t like the traditional mom jeans and are 5 inches above the belly button. Be careful with how high they actually fit over your waist and tummy. For boyish figures – A form fit at the waist with a stretch to the denim will help accentuate the hips adding a small flare at the ankle will give an illusion of curves even for the straightest of figures.
- Choose the right length – Make sure the length is enough to reach the top of your shoe. Never wear jeans that are so long your stepping on them and ripping them. Also never wear jeans that are too short, these will make your legs look thicker and shorter when the goal is to look longer and leaner.
Photo – Courtesy of regardingannie.wordpress.com
- Frankincense Intense Lift Serum by Neal’s Yard Remedies - June 9, 2017
- SPARK 2017; Detroit Garment Group’s 2nd Annual Fashion Fete - June 5, 2017
- 19th Annual Women Helping Women Luncheon and Fashion Show - June 2, 2017
- DIY Natural Beauty Recipes - June 2, 2017
- Neal’s Yard Remedies Aromatherapy Kit; May Special - May 22, 2017
- Yellow Tinted Sunglasses - May 16, 2017
- Trilogy Cheer Performs Flawless Routines; Wins Wildcard Division and Summit Championship - May 15, 2017
- The Bachelorette’s Rachel Lindsay to Wear Randi Rahm on Premiere Episode - May 13, 2017
- Grace Centers Of Hope Holds “Women Helping Women” Luncheon and Fashion Show - May 5, 2017
- Looking Young and Healthy Thin with LightRx - April 25, 2017