This is a crazy time of year. We all have so many parties to go to that are filled with yummy food and drinks, and it is just going to get crazier this weekend for many of us. This craziness is not the time to ditch your fitness program though, it can even be a great time to start one up.
If you have already started to think of New Year resolutions and are in the mindset of loosing all the weight you plan on gaining these next few days, do a quick switch of your mindset and start thinking about fitness now to help keep you feeling your best this time of year.
For me, fitness and sticking to my running routine is non negotiable. I skipped today, but rest assured I will be out there first thing Friday morning back at it. Without this routine, it is so hard to stay on track with the holiday treats and also keep my stress level under control.
Use these tips to help stay on track with your workouts or start a new routine:
- Make a plan. Get out a piece of paper or a journal and write down on a calendar all of your plans the next two weeks. After you do that, then think about what you can manage to do fitness wise. Can you take a 15 minute walk each day? Can you commit to finding a workout video you like and do that 3 times a week? Are you going to stick to your running program? Document it down.
- Plan your Holiday eating around the workouts. I know I am going to be running both Saturday and Sunday so this will lead me to enjoying Christmas Day in moderation so I can perform the next morning without feeling sluggish or worse yet, hung over.
- Use elliptical machine in your hotel.
- Find a partner! I have been loving my group runs this time of year! It is so nice to know that others are waiting for me to show up and my coach expects me to run according to the plan. Team up with a friend and hold each other accountable. Meet up for workouts or plan something as simple as sending a text after you each complete your workouts according to plan.
- If you are traveling think ahead of time what you can accomplish and work it into your plans. Use the hotel elliptical, find some new running routes on Map My Run or go for a walk in a new neighborhood. It is great to team up with family too this time of year as many of us travel to stay with family or friends.
Enjoy! The holidays are about making memories, don’t stress if you don’t follow things perfectly. Things come up for all of us, just get back on track the next day and move on.