Staying “sun-safe” is more than being diligent about applying and-re-applying sunscreen. You also need to be careful about which sunscreen you are using. Most sunscreens on the market today include harmful ingredients that can cause a variety of health issues including an increase in the risk of skin cancer. Yes, you read that correctly. Many sunscreens include toxins which increase the risk of skin cancer and even encourage tumor growth (crazy I know!). Sunscreens that contain toxic chemicals can also cause hormone disruption which can lead to a host of other health problems including infertility and thyroid dysfunction.
Top ingredients to look out for include:
- Octyl methoxycinnamate
- Vitamin A
The Environmental Working Group‘s Sunscreen guide (which is updated annually in the Spring) is a great resource for selecting a safe sunscreen for you and your family.
Beautycounter’s Protect Sunscreen is always at the top of the EWG’s list for safety and performance and is my personal favorite as well. The non-nano zinc oxide sunscreen blends into skin without streaking, is water-resistant and includes antioxidant-rich green tea, blood orange extracts and aloe to help hydrate skin. It also has a light, citrus scent.
Do you have a favorite sunscreen?
*Disclosure – This post may contain affiliate links. By clicking and shopping, you help support Glamorous Moms and allow us to keep reporting on all things glamorous.
- Stay Sun-Safe with BeautyCounter Sunscreen - April 12, 2017
- Beautycounter Introduces Desert Sunrise Collection - February 17, 2017
- Let it Glow with Holiday Gift Sets from Beautycounter - December 3, 2016
- All About Bikram - November 3, 2016
- Sound Healing Meditation - October 18, 2016
- Detoxify your Skin with Charcoal - August 31, 2016
- The Answer to Safe and Toxin Free Skincare - August 3, 2016